BRL-CAD participating in the 2012 Google Summer of Code
The BRL-CAD open source community is once again delighted to be participating as a mentoring organization in the 2012 Google Summer of Code (GSoC)! They will be helping students develop their engine, math, and graphics project proposals through the April 6th application deadline. Any students interested in joining the BRL-CAD development team this summer can get started here:
Now in it's sixth year and BRL-CAD's fourth year participating, GSoC is an annual summer program sponsored by Google where they pay students a stipend of 5000 USD to work on open source. It's a highly competitive program both for students and for the mentoring organizations. As chances of having a BRL-CAD proposal accepted are much higher from impassioned and interactive individuals, applicants should join their developer mailing list or IRC channel and introduce themselves today!
This year, the BRL-CAD developers have made it really easy for new developers to get started with BRL-CAD. As a large codebase with more than a million lines of code, figuring out where to begin can be daunting or intimidating. They have prepared an awesome virtual machine disk image with everything preconfigured, installed, and ready to go. It includes a source checkout, documentation, code examples, and more to help new developers get started quickly:
One of the primary goals of the program is to introduce students to free open source software development with the specific intent of attracting those students as new long-term developers for that project. For BRL-CAD, this is the primary reason for participating. With increased awareness, new developers, and increased developer activity, the team hopes to accelerate BRL-CAD development to benefit the entire open source CAD community.
Recently Featured Posts
- Accessing Microsoft Windows 8 Desktop Sensors
- Shader Effects: Glow and Bloom
- Shader Effects: Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
- Shader Effects: Refraction
- Shader Effects: Blend Modes
- Shader Effects: Gamma Correction
- Follow Devmaster.net on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
- Shader Effects: Depth of Field
- Shader Effects: Shadow Mapping
- Shader Effects: Old Film
Recent Forum Discussions
- Brand new GameDev Team Start-up
- How to detect a monitor's Default r...
- XBox One
- Diesel Tactics - A steampunk inspired, ...
- Feathered Attack (FREE TO PLAY)
- 3DModels-Textures: Female Warrior 2.
- ï¼ˆiOS/Vitaï¼‰TV Show Puzzle Game- "...
- Irritum - new indie platformed/puzzle game
- 3D Alien Buildings for Game Design
- Offering free hosting-support for your ...