OpenGL Insights: Call for Authors
It is with great enthusiasm that we invite you to contribute to OpenGL Insights, a book containing original articles on OpenGL, OpenGL ES, and WebGL techniques by the OpenGL community and for the OpenGL community: from game programmers to web developers to researchers. OpenGL Insights will be published by A K Peters, Ltd. / CRC Press in time for SIGGRAPH 2012.
Given the wide array of OpenGL platforms, from Mac desktops to Android phones to web browsers, we invite you to submit article proposals on all aspects of OpenGL development, including performance tuning, recent GL features/extensions, application architecture, vendor-specific techniques, WebGL, and interoperability with other APIs. We are interested in proposals based on your unique real-world experience using OpenGL. Some ideas include:
* OpenGL performance, for example:
* Best performance practices for using vertex buffers
* Best performance practices for texture streaming
* Performance and memory profiling techniques
* 64-bit performance considerations
* Multithreading with OpenGL
* Modern OpenGL 3 and 4 programming, for example:
* Introduction to tessellation
* Image load and store
* Programmable multisampling
* Using shader subroutines effectively
* Managing uniform data
* Strategies for debugging OpenGL applications
* Application architecture, for example:
* Porting between Direct3D and OpenGL
* Writing portable code between OpenGL, OpenGL ES, and WebGL
* Designing an OpenGL-based graphics engine
* A testing framework for OpenGL applications
* Shader architecture best practices, e.g., shader binaries and separate shaders
* Cross-platform programming with OpenGL
* Tools, libraries
* Vendor-specific techniques, for example:
* Understanding and optimizing for specific hardware and driver implementations: AMD, Apple, ARM, Imagination Technologies, Intel, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, S3 Graphics, etc.
* Bindless Graphics: GL_NV_shader_buffer_load and GL_NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory
* How VAO works on AMD drivers
* Taking advantage of deferred tile rendering on PowerVR
* How GLSL compiler works
* Understanding multithreaded OpenGL drivers
* OpenGL ES, for example:
* Best practices for targeting both desktop and mobile devices
* Targeting multiple mobile device platforms
* Developing with power consumption in mind
* Differences between desktop and mobile devices
* WebGL, for example:
* Introduction to WebGL for web developers
* Introduction to WebGL for OpenGL developers
* Optimizing WebGL applications
* Understanding web browser implementations of WebGL
* WebGL interoperability with WebCL
* Interoperability, for example:
* Hybrid OpenGL and OpenCL/CUDA rendering pipelines
* Working with both OpenGL and Direct3D
* OpenGL interoperability with OpenCL and CUDA
* Inspirational thoughts and experiences:
* OpenGL's 20th anniversary: history and evolution
* ARB members and OpenGL developers interviews
* OpenGL software making of
* Daily programmer experiences with OpenGL
These are, of course, examples. Please don't feel limited to these areas.
The planned schedule is:
August 15, 2011 - Proposals due
September 1, 2011 - Authors selected
November 1, 2011 - Articles due
December 1, 2011 - Peer review feedback due
December 15, 2011 - Revised articles due, all articles sent to publisher
January 1, 2012 - Supplemental material due, e.g., videos, source code, etc.
SIGGRAPH 2012 - Book released
Please send proposals to email@example.com using this example proposal as a template by August 15th.
Proposals should include the title, your name and affiliation, a one-page abstract, and anything else you feel helps convey your article such as related images or references. Proposals must demonstrate the author's real-world OpenGL experience and ability to write clearly. Proposals can have multiple authors, and a single author can submit multiple proposals. There is no required article length, but we expect most articles will be 5-20 pages. Example code can be written in any language on any platform.
Please feel free to contact us for additional discussion. We're looking forward to putting together a valuable book for the OpenGL community.
Recently Featured Posts
- Accessing Microsoft Windows 8 Desktop Sensors
- Shader Effects: Glow and Bloom
- Shader Effects: Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
- Shader Effects: Refraction
- Shader Effects: Blend Modes
- Shader Effects: Gamma Correction
- Follow Devmaster.net on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
- Shader Effects: Depth of Field
- Shader Effects: Shadow Mapping
- Shader Effects: Old Film
Recent Forum Discussions
- 3DModels-Textures: Female Warrior 2.
- seduisantdistributeurlongchamp dresses ...
- ï¼ˆiOS/Vitaï¼‰TV Show Puzzle Game- "...
- Irritum - new indie platformed/puzzle game
- 3D Alien Buildings for Game Design
- Offering free hosting-support for your ...
- More Games as cross-promotion tool
- ORC SHAMEN animated character from Arte...
- How does a free app earn money?
- EFFING DEAD, indie survival