I am looking for an engine for a game I would like to create. I have
looked into a few different engines and I have not found one that suites
my needs for what I am trying to do. My game is going to be a space
sci-fi saga that involves going to different planets and traveling
different galaxies and solar systems in a RPG bird’s eye view. If you
are familiar with the game “Star Flight” then you kind of have an idea
of what I am talking about. Along with this I am looking to have random
encounters with different aliens while traveling in space. Of course
most of these would be battles between the hero’s ship and the opposing
space ships that are facing the hero.
I have made a list of different features that I am looking to have for
this game. Almost all of these are features that I need for this game.
The list of features is as followed below,
· Disembark & embark from/to Mother ship at anytime while flying in
· Able to buy new ships and accessories for ships. (I.E. Shields,
engines, weapons, and other things)
· Able to buy and upgrade weapons while on foot in game. (I.E. while
traveling on planet with main hero, you are able to buy and upgrade
· 2D side view action fight screen. (I.E. like the old school street
fighter style gaming. These will be used for bigger fights for
· Bird’s eye view while travel on foot on-planet.
· 2.5D graphics for planet view and rotatable camera. (Mostly rotatable
camera for travel thru metropolitan cities with skyscrapers.)
· Changeable clothes for hero that can be changed throughout game.
· Changing weapons and holding them on foot is visible.
· Planets have a rotating orbit around star in solar system view.
· Filter for planets. The color of the filter changes due to the main
color of the star in the solar system and the planets atmosphere. (I.E.
one planet may have a sepia tone to it while another planet may have a
dark red tone.)
· The ability of having day and night.
· Different weather changes. (I.E. Snow, rain, sandstorms.
· Being able to import images from Photoshop to tile the game.
· Cut scene movies made in-game and out of game.
· A leveling system based on hero’s progress with the game and
experience gained. (Wanting to form this leveling system like how it was
done in Skyrim.)
· Having different power moves which will be non-weapon for on-foot
hero. (These will be based off of experienced gained and if the power
meter is full enough to perform the specific move.)
· Having different terrains. (I.E. Hills, mountains, and rocks.
· Able to buy/sell objects in game.
· Able to create swords and other objects.
· Having random spawning space ships and opposing soldiers that are
area and game progress controlled.
· Vibrant lighting. (Having lighting areas as in a street light at
night will only portray light in a certain zone.)
· Ability to land smaller space fighter ship on different places on the
planet desired. (Most these places will be predestined places on the
· Ability to cross platform this game for different gaming consoles,
just not on computers only.
· Online play. (Can come later with expansions.)
· Being able to have expansions and keep saved game progression that
play will have already done.
· Having companion NPC’s to follow hero and help hero during fights.
· Ability through game progress to translate alien languages.
(Automatically done when language is learned.)
So these are the different things that I am looking for. Most of all of
them are necessary things that would be vital for this game to have. So
if anyone has an idea of an engine that will work for this game please
let me know. Thank you very much.
Please log in or register to post a reply.
FIRSTLY, There is no specific engine that just does all of those things
without countless hours of scripting for more customization. And you
just point and click and BAM the game is together with that said.
OK, I’m not programming scientist, but firstly for the sake of this
question, I have read many, many, many forums before I posted my first
thread about DEVing which just happened to be yesterday, and I have to
ask. Asides from knowing that you need a game engine, do you know how to
program? Animate? Code? I ask this because By your question I didn’t
feel that you do, because it almost sounds like a large scale game as a
big as “SWOTR” if not bigger. And if that’s the case then you should ask
your self were to start not what engine. However if you do know these
things, then again even though you would need allot of time money and a
decent sized team. I would recommend Unity3d engine or Unreal for that
type of game but there are many others out there. Just find the one that
suits you there is more than one that does what you want I’m sure. What
languages do you know? Have you ever started small? Also I highly doubt
it but might even want to check into realm crafter, however for the
hardcore script/work your talking about to even get close you would need
RCPro for the scripting ability’s. Again I am no Pro and I’m fairly new,
but that’s just IMO.