Shotgun, the creative industry’s trusted system for secure, efficient production management and review, has integrated its pipeline tools with Perforce to speed game development by streamlining team collaboration. The solution provides game studios with a cohesive art and asset pipeline that links tracking, scheduling, publishing, review, and more with Perforce source control, directly from within the tools artists use every day.
Shotgun/Perforce integration is a free software update to Shotgun’s Pipeline Toolkit for all clients. Built on Shotgun’s open platform, it can be easily modified and customized to meet any team’s requirements.
“More and more of our customers have been asking us about Shotgun and how our products work together. We’re excited to have an integration that makes it easier for gaming companies to do what they do best – create cool games – without worrying about chasing down the latest version of an important piece of code or artwork,” said Christopher Seiwald, founder and CEO of Perforce.
Shotgun/Perforce integration features an artist-friendly UI, the ability to connect data and tasks and an automatic project update feed, streamlining process for everyone on the project; specifically:
- Artists can check assets in and out of Perforce directly from within Autodesk Maya, Adobe Photoshop and other top tools, using Shotgun’s artist-friendly user interface – never having to leave their creative applications.
- Managers can easily connect art-tracking data such as character art lists and tasks directly to Perforce check-ins in each asset’s update stream, to keep teams apprised of latest versions. Reports based on Perforce check-ins and the option to query and drill down into check-ins provide access to asset details.
- Pipeline engineers can leverage the growing library of Shotgun Toolkit applications – launchers, loaders, publishers, asset browsers and more; with source available on GitHub – to customize, extend, and build essential artist tools quickly and deploy them rapidly to their teams. Shotgun provides frameworks to handle Perforce interaction so engineers don’t have to start from scratch.
- Leads have immediate access when the review process and notes from Shotgun are connected to the assets checked into Perforce. Studios can link reviewable media with Perforce check-in and/or automate the creation of reviewable media with check-in.
- All project participants can see important asset information such as creative briefs and notes in the same location as the Perforce check-ins. Through an automatic project update feed, thumbnail images for each check-in are created and added into Shotgun’s update streams so everyone can see the latest version of any specific asset or across the entire project in a familiar social-media style feed.
Shotgun CEO Don Parker said, “This update unlocks a deeply integrated pipeline for art teams by enabling artists to check assets in/out of Perforce from within the tools they use every day, helping studios move faster internally and with their global partners. And because every pipeline is continually optimized, our applications ship with source and hooks so engineers can quickly customize the tools to capture the nuances of a project without having to build everything from scratch.”
Perforce integration for Shotgun is in private beta and will be available as a public beta next week during the Game Developers Conference (March 17). Learn more and see a video tour here: http://www.shotgunsoftware.com/perforce
Shotgun is the creative industry’s trusted system for secure, scalable, efficient production management and review. A standardized toolset for animation, visual effects and game development pipelines built on the industry’s best practices, it enables studios and remote collaborators to increase efficiency and reduce risk through transparency. More than 500 creative companies including Warner Bros., DreamWorks Animation, Framestore, Illumination Mac Guff, Blizzard, Microsoft, Playstation, Ubisoft, Cloud Imperium, and Avalanche have adopted Shotgun’s customizable system and contribute to the ongoing development of its growing ecosystem of applications. For information or to try Shotgun at no cost, visit shotgunsoftware.com.
About Perforce Software
Perforce version management solutions power Continuous Delivery. Perforce is trusted by industry-leading companies like Salesforce.com, SAP and the New York Stock Exchange to manage their most valuable IP. Perforce products help teams work in concert on important digital assets including software code, documents, multimedia, spreadsheets, images and more. They are unique in their ability to handle large and distributed collections of content, enabling higher productivity, lower costs, improved security and compliance. The company is headquartered in Alameda, California, with international operations in the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia. For more information, visit www.perforce.com.