Straight from the http://ioquake3.org/ site there is a new release of the free open source engine! Go to the homepage for more information.
ioquake3 1.36 is here! Have a look at the list of improvements that have gone into this release:
- Ports to new platforms
- OpenAL sound rendering allowing for surround (5.1 and 7.1) speaker layouts and generally improved sound
quality. Especially on the Windows Vista Operating System.
- In-engine VOIP support, with optional Mumble player-location support.
- SDL backend for the OpenGL context, window management, and input. This also improves portability.
- Full x86-64 architecture support
- New SPARC JIT compiler, with support for both sparc32 and sparc64
- Improved console command auto-completion
- Improved QVM (Quake Virtual Machine) tools
- GUID System
- PNG format support for textures
- Off-server data downloads (http redirection) via HTTP and FTP with cURL
- Ogg Vorbis audio decoding.
- IPV6 Networking. We’re ready to frag on the net of the future!
- Anaglyph stereo rendering (for viewing with 3D glasses)
- Rewritten PowerPC JIT compiler, with ppc64 support
- Compilation with MinGW and cross-compilation for Windows from Linux
- Persistent console command history
- Colored terminal output on POSIX operating systems
- Multiuser support on Windows systems (user-specific game data is stored in their respective Application Data folders)
- Numerous security fixes