During the development of Sixth Age: A New Spirit, a turn based
strategy game created from scratch in 9 months by thirteen students,
including myself; we decided we needed a way for the artists and
designers to create the game's particle effects. Since I was the only
programmer and was short on time I began work on a tool that would
allow the other guys on my team to build and design cool particle
effects that could be saved and then loaded-up in game from a file. To
maximize my production time I created the Particle Editor in C#. Here
are some features:
- DirectX 9.0c
- Control three particle emitters simultaneously.
- Save/Load emitters.
- Set different textures for each emitter.
- Free moving camera with right-mouse-look and W,A,S,D keys.
- Load Microsoft .X file meshes into scene for visual matching of
- Ability to control following aspects of each particle based on time:
- Options for each particle emitter:
- Axis alignment
- Offsets for color/size/speed/direction/birth Position
- Emitter position based on sin/cosine values.
- Particle width/height scaling.
- Set an emitter's path to a specified target position.
- Additive/subtractive blending modes.
You can visit my website to view more images of the Particle Editor
and 6th Age here
- Ryan Gaule