Mophun to J2ME
Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:07 AM
Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:32 AM
Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:02 AM
Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:53 PM
Somewhat true... but Mophun apps NEVER run on more than 14 FPS, even if there are plenty of resources!
Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:25 AM
Background: I am the original author of the game on Mophun and have a good understanding of Mophun and a very good understanding of C. The game in question was a fairly simple 2D puzzle game, which used only a small part of Mophuns graphics-related API. It did however use Mophun's "socket"-API and "persistant storage"-features.
I had no(!) knowledge of Java, J2ME or MIDP 1.0 when I started, but read quite a few tutorials and other introductory texts before I started the project.
Experiences: Converting the actual game logic, i.e. more or less converting ANSI-C to pure Java, proved to be very easy since the syntax of Java is almost identical to C. Converted a few structures and pointers to arrays, but that was no major problem.
What proved challenging was dealing with MIDP 1.0's "repaint strategy" though, but that shouldn't be too challening for you if you have lots of experience from developing Java titles.
Another challenge was converting the "persistant storage" functions, since Mophun treats this data as ordinary files and Java uses its database-like "RecordStore".
Yet another challenge was fonts. I was adviced to use built-in system fonts in J2ME instead of re-using the hand-painted bitmap fonts I used in the Mophun-project. The problem is that on some phones only "very big" fonts seem to be available to Java applications. Since my game uses fonts quite heavily (game GUI, menu system, help texts, etc.) and I didn't want to use "Forms" etc. for this I will have to accept that the game will be "unplayable" on phones which only have "too big" fonts.
I still haven't found Java phone portability to be a major problem, but I have only tried the game on a handful of phones (both MIDP 1.0 and MIDP 2.0) and two different emulators yet, so I'm fearing that this may still be a problem since I've heard alot of "rumours" about this being a problem.
The porting project went very fast in the beginning, but has slowed down considerably towards the end. Mainly because I had to learn a few new Java and/or J2ME-realted things. Overall I didn't run into any major obstacles though.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users