- I use unique email addresses for each site/company.
- The email address I use with devmaster.net has *ONLY* been used to register with these forums.
- The email address I use with devmaster.net is sufficiently random to not be guessable.
- I signed up with devmaster.net 30th May 2012 to post this post. (This has been my only interaction with the site, until now.)
- Today I received spam (alledgedly from firstname.lastname@example.org) to the email address.
- The email I received was entirely unrelated to devmaster.net.
So, it seems reasonable to concluding the following.
a/ devmaster.net has had a serious security breach, or
b/ devmaster.net user email addresses are being given (sold) to unrelated third parties (spammers), in violation of the site's privacy agreement.
Either way, I seriously doubt that I am the only person who would like to hear what the site maintainers have to say about this.