I'm working on the character customization part for a tiny game in Unity and I want the player to be able to change the skin color for every face texture (or hair texture) and I need some help.
After some attemps I could think of only two solutions:
1. paint all face textures in all skin shades in Photoshop and then swap textures in Unity (cons: more textures to paint an to load? pros: better results?)
2. paint just the face textures (maybe in grayscale?) and then change the color of the material in Unity using a diffuse shader.
(cons: poor result? pros: less textures to paint and load?)
- What is the best technique between the two?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two?
- Are there other better techniques?
- How many and which texture layers do you think are needed to achieve this beautiful painted skin effect?
- What skin shader for Unity 3.5 do you suggest to achieve this effect?
Thank you in advance!
For reference: high resolution images from Guild Wars 2: