Acropora - voxel modeler / terrain mesh generator
Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:03 PM
We are looking for input in this relatively new field of voxel modeling, so please download and test your imagination with voxels!
A procedural modeler, Acropora combines volumetric modifiers with multi-octave 3D noise sampling to generate detailed surfaces in far less time than conventional surface modeling software. Acropora adopts a less deterministic approach to generating complex, organic shapes by applying sequences of modifiers on large voxelized meshes. The effect is to create an endless, seamless expanse of surface that undulates and changes in a natural way. The resulting meshes can contain caves, ridges, overhangs and other natural features that are not possible with height maps.
Just some of the features available:
•A variety of base shapes including sphere, plane, cylinder, torus and others.
•Compound shapes (heightmaps, pillars, caves, weaves)
•Caves and overhang controls
•Voxelisation of user imported models (.3DS, .FBX, COLLADA, .OBJ)
•Mesh export to .3DS, .FBX, COLLADA, .OBJ
•User-specified volume block and voxel dimensions.
•Over 50+ volume modifiers
•Automatic generation of up to 15 octaves of noise (volumetric, Perlin, fractal)
•Extensive voxel and noise editing tools
•Multiple LOD support
•Seamless joining of adjacent meshes
•Mesh decimation, smoothing and tesselation.
•Mesh filtering and vertex blending tools
•Multithreaded CPU support and GPU acceleration (on supported cards)
Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:21 PM
Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:33 PM
-One of the major difficulties with procedural terrain is, well, designing it. Consider nVidia's cascades demo whereby the entire terrain is generated via marching cubes on a shader. The equations (for the surface) were generated by trial and error. One of the primary goals with Acropora was to simplify the procedural end and generate a shader script that could be run on DX 10 or 11 compatible cards. It just turned out that this "mesh/voxel generation" was also useful for 3D FX modelers as well.
- Heightmaps are quickly losing there allure. Acropora can quickly generate a large terrain mesh with caverns/overhangs, then broken into blocks and with multiple LOD.
- Acropora will (in the next release) export 3D textures (of the voxel space) in .dds format.
Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:52 AM
Corrections and bug fixes:
- Fixed scaling errors
- Fixed lighting errors
- Fixed general programming errors
- Improved 3D manipulators (scale, translate, rotate)
- Fixed voxel data export for noise modifiers.
- Fixed supported images in displace modifier
- Fixed exporting bugs
- Fixed importing of .obj model files
Additions and improvements:
- Added pan capability to display (finally!) -> use middle mouse button
- Added Region extraction
- Added Cave entrance modifier
- Added Crater modifier
- Added 3D texture (.DDS) export (of voxel volume).
- Added masking option to regions (restricts modifiers via mask file)
- Added coordinate transforms to regions (positions are transformed prior to processing of modifiers.
Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:18 AM
- Rendering under XP corrected
- Toolbar cleaned up
- Memory clean-up
Additions and improvements:
- New GUI tools for cylindrical base shapes
- New GUI tools for spherical base shapes
- New GUI tools for geometrical modifiers
- Live update of surface (auto update)
- New controls for properties (spinners)
- Improved thread priorities for faster processing
Check out the new tutorials!
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users