Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:11 AM
1) Articles layout == gamedev layout which are too dull (and devmaster even cross-links to articles on gamedev)
2) General site layout, it seems as if the site was built with a "Site building template" of some sort.
3) The forum is too divided. I'm pretty sure people don't visit each sections all the time and so many helpfull answers can be missed.
4) where's the IOTD?
5) where's the COTD?
6) the articles seems to be writen very fast, they don't have a lot of depth in them (ok I know it's more a content problem and the site is young...)
7) don't cross-link to other sites articles in your main article section. If you want to do it, do it in another section. It's better to have a standard article layout throughout the site, and it's better to have your own tutorials/articles... it shows there is in fact some depth to your site and it's not just a frontend.
I personally think these are reasonable suggestions. Take them into consideration.
Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:38 AM
well, so are many articles on gamedev and we don't have much control over that. we could reject them but that would be fatal. some of them are actually pretty good, like the OpenAL series
5) where's the COTD?
you complain about the articles being gamedev style and then suggest copying flipcode ?
i actually find it very compact... what would you remove ?
Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:57 AM
Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:27 AM
5) where's the COTD? smile.gif
7. explained in #1
Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:13 AM
Sorry if they came too abruptly, I know you guys have put a lot of efforts in this site.
That;s what I thought..glad to hear they will eventually be moved elsewhere
I'd be glad to contribute... tell me when the new layout is ready ;)
as for the IOTD, why not let it grow by itself? Flipcode grew because of this for a while... until it got closed. I don't mind seeing a IOTD for a month because no one can post anything...it's been like that for decades on flipcode since people moved elsewhere.
Posted 27 August 2004 - 04:50 AM
Dia, good to hear that the site is welcoming suggested improvements. I think the 3d engines database could be very very cool once it gets more reviews so that sorting by rating actually means something.
Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:25 AM
Hold the phone! Flipcode is closed for good?
Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:55 AM
so we can call it dead.. at least currently.. but that current state goes now on for too long
i don't want an IOTD.. but some images would be cool. just OTD is not good.
-Loving a Person is having the wish to see this Person happy, no matter what that means to yourself.
-No matter what it means to myself....
Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:47 PM
Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:01 PM
another suggestion would be if someone already did a game and want his game to be public and famous?, maybe we can open a new server for it so people can play multiplayer, that would be very nice. A simple open source game would do the work.
Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:43 PM
Posted 27 August 2004 - 05:02 PM
edit :like the "featured engine" in the engine database
Posted 27 August 2004 - 05:29 PM
Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:05 AM
could it also link to a forum section at least where the demo/effect/software/game could be explained and so the author could help others acheive the same thing, answer questions, etc...
Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:12 AM
Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:52 PM
- use OpenAL, great articles!
- make proper homogeneous clipping (my software rendering articles, clip one comming soon!!! Sorry for great delay but Hans is now in university and i'm trying to follow the deadlines :P)
- cool code design, which can be applied to many different types of games
- BSP and portal stuff from Samuel Eskotta's articles
- a little bit of terrain rendering from that new article, which also has some very useful links!
so i can't call the articles bad. But pretty much of selection is needed if everyone is writing articles of course :).
I also find the idea of adding COTD, IOTD sections very much. I loved those stuff at FlipCode.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users