Languages Written In:
- User Reviews
The Serious Engine incorporates the latest state of the art 3D technologies. It is main power behind FPS games "Serious Sam: The First Encounter" and "Serious Sam: The Second Encounter" for PC and "Serious Sam" for Xbox, published by Gathering of Developers / Take 2 Interactive / Gotham Games.
- Object-Oriented Design
- Save/Load System
- Up to four players can play simultaneously on same screen.
- Multi Language Support
- Render-to-Texture supports reflective and semi-reflective surfaces of all kinds.
- Environment Mapping
- Lens Flares
- Particle System
- Water realistically reflects objects.
- Provide fully dynamic and customizable layered fog (move, rotate, change color/density etc)
- Haze special effect (caused by light being reflected from particles in atmosphere)
- Lens Reflections and Glaring Effect
- Procedural particle system
- enables designer to define custom specularity values for material
- Directional light (distant light) is used extensively.
- Supports Illumination Maps and Illuminating polygons
- Day-Night Changes
- support for animiated lights and dark lights (lights which subtract from scene)
- Special type of light is used to create smooth transitions between sectors with different ambient lights.
- Shadow Mapping
- The Serious Engine has shadow rendering algorithms so powerful that it calculates shadows as you move lights in editor. That is extremely important when decorating interiors. You do not have to wait any more to see how your world will look. In the Serious Engine, shadows are always up to date. If you add a column, it will immediately cast shadows.
- Can calculate shadows of models taking in account texture transparency
- Uses multi-pass emboss algorithm that can reproduce bump mapping even without dedicated hardware, and gives specular bump look, instead of ordinary diffuse bumps.
- allows up to three texture layers on each polygon. Each texture layer can be stretched, sheared, rotated and translated.
- textures are stored in 32 bit color, but both 16- and 32-bit are supported during rendering.
- Mesh Loading
- Tessellation up to 32 levels of detail per object
- Occlusion Culling
- LOD Today, supporting both indoor and outdoor environments is a must. Serious Engine was designed so that there is absolutely no difference between indoor and outdoor settings.
- Skeletal Animation
- Animation Blending
- Skin models can be combined and procedurally controlled
- implements skin models with hierarhical linking
- automatically calculates inter-frame positions for animation smoothing
- Terrain Generation
- Projected mapping seamlessly applies texture over displaced polygons
- Complex algorithms are used for water effects that emulates nature.
- Plasma FX allows creating burning, waterfall simulation, dancing particles, fountains, etc.
- Basic Physics
- Collision Detection
- Rigid Body
- Advanced 6 DOF (degrees of freedom) physics of Serious engine (never seen before) introduces influence of few gravities in same time. Gravity can have variable angle and value so you can expect weirdest death-match levels (with players running across ceilings, walls, inside spheres, around cones, ...).
- Friction for different surfaces.
- Collision detection: World is collision tested per-polygon, while models use bounding boxes non-conservatively approximated with spheres.
- Client-Server able to save multiplayer game and continue it afterwards
- Decision Making
- Scripted Complete new language has been created for easier AI programming. It is C++ based language with incorporated event handling system. This language enables easy programming of complex AI behaviour.
- 2D Sound
- 3D Sound
- HRTF (head related transfer function), IID (interaural intensity difference), ITD (interaural time difference), doppler effect and speed of sound.
- supports MP3 music files using Amp11lib player library
- Both model and level editing utilities (Serious Modeler and Serious Editor) are standard windows applications. Employing 'What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get' paradigm and intuitive interface, Serious Editor is easy to use but powerful and professional application, what makes it a strong reason to license Serious engine.
- CSG (constructive solid geometry) is the main editing operations in the tools.
- Game testing enables you to play currently edited world in-place, inside the window where you edit it.
|License Name||Price in $US||Source Code Included?||Additional information|
|For companies that wish to use the engine but have no funding (deposit)|
|ntended for teams who are working on budget games and can’t afford to spend a lot of money on tech. Very minimal amount of support and no future updates.|
|For the mid-teir projects and will most likely fit most teams needs. Some support is included.|
|Platnium level and includes the most amount of support and updates to the technology for one year from the execution of the agreement.|
I really like all 'Serious Sam' series, but why, WHY THIS ENGINE IS SO EXPENSIVE!? Seriously, it's 2001 year.... But...
Minimal is 25,000 $ !?
I know that there is SDK, but this does not mean that the engine need to raise the price to the heavens! This is inhuman! Any company would prefer for example the Unreal Engine 3 is greater than this... And cheaper......
Sorry, just can not find words to describe my outrage...
Also, sorry for bad English language.