Languages Written In:
- User Reviews
S2Engine is a complete kit for developing games and Virtual Reality environments. It has a flexible modular structure that allows user to implement new features. S2 technology is organized in a framework, based on a set of hierarchical classes, that allows easily managing all the components of a real-time interactive simulation, i.e.: Input, Sound, Network, AI, GUI, Physics, etc.
- Object-Oriented Design
- Plug-in Architecture
Post processing glow effect for light emitting surfaces.
- Gloss maps
- OmniDirectional lights with customizable distance attenuation function via texturing or cube maps.
- Spot Lights with cube map or 2D texture projection
- Directional lights with attenuation via texturing
- Global Ambient light featuring bump-mapping
- Two light projection types: orthogonal and spot. Customizable light attenuation function via texturing.
- Shadow Volume All objects in the scene project shadows
- Projected powerful lighting system the engine can support mullti-layered materials with simulation of: reflectance, specularity, transparency, self-illumination, gloss and parametric specular highlights
- Mesh Loading
- New Dynamic Portal Scissoring (DPS) technology which optimizes scene lighting and shadowing.
- Support for complex scenes featuring indoor and outdoor locations. This is possible using a hybrid system based on a bsp/portal main scenegraph structure and an octree/antiportals structure for every sector for fast geometry culling useful for big sector locations.
- Forward Kinematics
- Keyframe Animation
- Skeletal Animation
- Animation Blending Supports keyframed animations applied either to bone based mesh skinning and simple hierarchical models (needed especially in mechanical animations). The engine is also capable of perfoming a parametric animation blending to smooth innatural rapid movements which can be applied to both hierarchical or skinned models.
- Basic Physics
- Collision Detection Interfaced to a physicscollision system which is separated from the system core. This feature permits to constantly update the physicscollision module without change anything else. Currently two collision tests can be performed: AABBox-scene collision (via BSP) and AABox-AABox collision. The object dynamics is monitored by a particle-based subsystem via Euler integration. The physics interface lets to associate a particle to every object in the scene
- Finite State Machines Includes a powerful AI System organized in multiple layers. Lower levels contain path-finding and steering behaviors and higher levels contains FSM (Finite State Machine) and hierarchical goal-based subsystem. It is possible to develop different goals and states and let AI System to combine them into more sophisticated behaviors.
- 3D Sound
WorldEditor, ModelStudio, SceneStudio, MaterialEditor, and Exporting tools
Proprietary Scripting language
|License Name||Price in $US||Source Code Included?||Additional information|
|BASIC: For single users and first experience teams. (All prices in Euros)|
|PROFESSIONAL: For professional teams.|
|FULL: For big companies.|
Don't waste yout money
At first I was very impressed by this engine, the features looks really cool, the engine itself seems easy to use and alla about graphic...
well, the truth is that this game engine is not a complete tool for create games...
Here some features of the tools:
World editor: unless you're using 3ds, you can't basically import nothing... .dae is accepted, but lots of 3d software are not compatible with that, so you're basically screwed...I had to export everything from XSI, load into Blender, export again in .dae and import into the engine.
Navigation is quite ok, to move some object in space is a pain in the ass...
Scenestudio: where you put all together....well, if you put more than 2 lights your scene or you put too many polygon on 1 object it become so damn slow...illumination is quite good, but that's the only good thing, since a lot of recent features are not available and you can't add into the engine.
Modelstudio: this do the job, nothing more
Materialeditor: well, first you can only works with TGA and you don't really have lots of option to modify the shader look...dump mapping good, nothing more
The documentation and the tutorials are few, no support at all from the forum that is basically dead, not even the owner answer your questions! ridiculous!!
In few months there will be a brand new version, but I already throw my money away and I'm not doing it again!
My addon to the official features:
(+) Excellent documented
(++) Excellent lightning technology
(+) very good special effects
(+) easy level creation with World editor
(+) well designed game creation with integrated editors
(-) very proprietary scripting language
(+) included AI technology
(+) support for Truespace (free) Collada .dae files includes animation
Profenix has greatly improved the import , as example Truespace .dae files including animations. So i rewrote my review
The best decision i've made...
I have used and licensed most Engines around in the past and ended in Chaos.
Everything changed when i came across S2engine.
This Engine’s unique ability is that it has the power to make dreams come true and it is exactly what Indie developers need.
I’m a professional in the games industry for a few years and at the moment I am developing my own Multiplayer FPS game by using S2engine and I’m extremely pleased. I couldn’t ask for more. The tools are very easy to use, simple and effective.
The most important is that the pipeline and the way you combine the tools and editors make so much sense.
Many of the tools and features in it are the same with the ones you find in latest engines and AAA games like Crysis, COD4...etc. (post process effects such as motion blur, bloom, etc.).
To give a small idea of the tools/editors:
In world editor and terrain editor you give shape to your levels ground, hills, or interior areas or a combination of both. You have the ability to paint and blend your textures on terrain (each with unique normal maps, specular, detail..etc) around your level.…
At the same time you paint all your props (place around your 3d models) vegetation, grass trees with various settings...etc.
In the material editor you can set real time materials for your models with Diffuse, normal, specular maps, reflections, emission, Shininess, Fresnel, Blend Min/Max Distance with Detail...etc. Great tool and control.
In the model studio you view your 3d models and skeletal RIGS and characters. You set animations, attach gadgets to specific bones, control bones and frames, blend animations and also create unique collision per model based on your bones...etc
In the scene studio you bring them all together, and set lights, environmental effects, objects, weapons, pickups, triggers, paths, AI....
Also you can create instances of your props and clone them around your map to save memory and combine various techniques together for better performance.
The great thing is that as you work, you press the button and play the game in the same viewport real time like in FarCry/SanBox...etc No compilers and extra loading time.
Multiplayer support is planned for the very near future and also more advanced tools and features. Other things like .DDS and COLLADA support, shadowmapping etc… are coming soon too.
…..Also the scripting is made to be simple and the game entities behaviors can be customized by a simple IF/THEN and the logic works great and without any extra hard coding.
The stuff are real time, the results photo realistic with blend, fresnel, motion blur...etc. The tools are easy to use and they actually work.
The support is great and the guys are very helpful and approachable. You can discuss your problems and find solutions with them. For the price of the engine and support I believe nothing can beat S2engine.
I totally recommend it.
CONS: Worst scripting of all time
Scriping makes it hard to use
As of now, it only supports .tga and .fbx
Material editor, sucks c**k.
Don't buy this.... the Leadwerks engine has all the features and is easier. Or buy Torque... I don't care just don't buy this!
S2 Game side
Its a powerfull next-gen game development kit for PC platform
Its a perfect choice for Indies and quick prototype's
especialy the new version that will come out ( 1.5 ) with new shader support, optimizations .................................
S2Engine is a complete kit for developing games and Virtual Reality environments. One of its best features is high quality of graphics subsystem based on a technology that allows to project shadows over any surfaces and any objects in scene apart from their position and/or complexity. This is possible using a 'stencil shadow volumes' system optimized for real-time applications. This technique together with BumpMapping Shaders (diffuse and specular), with fully dynamic lights and with DPS technology (see features), allows to obtain real-time photorealistic environments and atmospheres. Thanks to its flexibility, every sub-system has been optimized, from graphics to physics. Moreover S2Engine has a flexible modular structure that allows user to implement new features (such as: curved surfaces, particle systems, dynamic LOD, new shaders, new deformers, etc.) and porting the code to other systems like, for instance, consoles. S2 technology is organized in a framework, based on a set of hierarchical classes, that allows easily managing all the components of a real-time interactive simulation, i.e.: Input, Sound, Network, AI, GUI, Physics, etc.