Prototype is a 3D engine designed for the absolute latest PC 3D hardware. It is a game oriented extension to the general purpose Power Render 3D engine that uses advanced lighting and shadowing techniques. The engine is still in development phase, but is still available for licensing.
- Environment Mapping
- Particle System
- Depth of Field
- Motion Blur
- Environmental reflections
- Depth of focus effects
- Gloss maps
- Per pixel DOT3 bump mapping + specular
- Volumetric per pixel lighting using projected cube maps
- Self illumination and glow effects
- A list of lights is kept, and each light holds the list of entities and polygons that are illuminated by it. This means only the polygons that are within range of the light are passed to the renderer, saving fill rate and shadow calculations.
- Shadow Mapping
- Shadow Volume
- Realtime self shadowing shadows
- Soft stencil shadows
- Each texture has a base map, gloss map, bump map, and cubic environment map
- Projectors allow projected textures on rooms and objects
- High Level
a common set of shaders is used for all objects; this means that everything in the world will be rendered using the same high quality shaders.
- Mesh Loading
Prototype uses the .PRO and .CHR formats from Power Render for objects. This means the art pipeline for static meshes and animated characters is already well established and exporters for MAX and Maya are available. Generating normal maps from high polygon meshes (ie Doom3 or Crytek’s polybump technology) is supported.
- Occlusion Culling
BSP based levels and collision detection
- Skeletal Animation
- Animation Blending
Tools & Editors
- Portal editor
- Ability to use the Power Render editors
Scripting language using LUA
||Price in $US
||Source Code Included?
| Prototype Early License Program. Final cost is estimated to be between $15k-50$k US