Agency 9 AB
Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris
Languages Written In:
- User Reviews
AgentFX 2 Platform is a fast competent 3D-engine offering state-of-the-art features combined with portability options that come with the use of Java.
- Plug-in Architecture
- Enables fast and easy development of custom rendering techniques (i.e. DirectX)
- Resource-based I/O for use with Java Webstart
- GUI GUI supports swing integration with lightweight support
- Particle System
- Sky Programmable second-order particle system
- Per-vertex Dynamic Lighting: The world and all objects are dynamically affected by the each lights intensity and colour
- Shadow Volume
- Realistic real-time shadows
- Shadow volumes with self shadowing
- Shadow volume occlusion
- Shadow volume optimization for static world data
- Shadow system supports large worlds and prevents shadow-bleeding through walls
- All objects can cast and receive shadows
- Allows infinite texture size 32bit (limited only by graphics hardware)
- JPG, PNG support
- Hardware texture compression support
- High Level cgShader support
- Mesh Loading
- Maya 5 support
- Soft and hard skinning
- Supports Collada, Milkshape 3D (.ms3d), Maya, 3D Studio Max, .obj, and XSI.
- Scenegraph based architecture
- Seamless outdoor / indoor rendering
- Including geometry and fragment occlusion
- Scene graph inspector application
- Keyframe Animation
- Skeletal Animation
- Sequence-based animation
- Integrated skelton-based models with shaders using Cg language. Used for shader-skinned skelton-based models
- Collision Detection
- “Hit zones” support for accurate collision detection
- Polygon based collision detection
|License Name||Price in $US||Source Code Included?||Additional information|
|Commercial version. Per programmer price.|
|Education version.Per computer price. Intended for faculty of educational institutions, only.|
|Non-Commercial Version. Watermarked version for personal non-commercial use only. Resulting application/game may be deployed as long as the whole distribution channel remains non-commercial.|
Real time is the right time :-)
I work with Agency9 providing this engine. With that said, I'll try to explain why I like the way this product is heading and try to be as un-biased as possible.
Agency9 have been around Java development since before the days there were any standards to support OpenGL through Java. So the first thing was to produce our own Java-OpenGL bindings. Fortunately these days we can focus on enhancing the engine itself.
AgentFX comes with lots of cool high-end features, available on few 3D-engines, non-of written in Java. In that sense it is “unparalled” features. But some low-end stuff could be better, hence grading "decent features". For example we could always offer more importers. How-ever we are focusing on Collada which hopefully will ease up the lives for lots of developers.
Even though people using AgentFX often think that we offer "world class support" through our community I truly hope that we can expand the volume of engine documentation and API docs. Most of the users seem to find the overall design of the API intuitive and straight forward. Since I've worked with this project for so long I find it very easy to use (of course), and have to rely on others opinions.
I have been working on this engine for almost over a year know. The engine is very easy to use with a logical API structure.
It's very easy to get something up and running!
Many engines (for example Gamebryo which I have been working with), requires programmers to write many additional classes for their games and/or applications. For example, file loaders, mathematical functions, additional OpenGL programming for special effects, particle classes, octrees.
AgentFX already provides many of these classes ready to use.
The features I like most are the excellent scenegraph system for rendering, together with the ability to easily write and add your own functionality for this scenegraph!
Some disadvantages are some missing information in the API documentations aswell as some more complex running demos together with source code.
Easy and fast
I've used the engine for about six months and I'm impressed to say the least. Developing in Java cuts development time, and with AFX, without loosing performance. The API is well structured and extendable, with decent tutorials getting you started fast. Docs has been their major weakness, but since they respond to community posts and emails very quickly, I still rate their support as good/excellent.
This boys know what is support about!!
I just looking for a java game engine to use..
there are lots of aspects ot look after, but one of the top is the support!
Imagine that you have the best tool ever, but no one ever help you out, or answare any of your questions..
(like it just happends with virtools..)
This boys helps! And very fast..
Well, I register into this portal, just to write this line..
Well done boys!!
Really good engine
I've tried lots of engines, but there aren't many engines with all the latest features AND a really good structure. Previously I used another really renowned commercial engine (at the same price level), but with AgentFX 2 I've managed to keep my dead-lines. In my opinion the really valuable characteristics are:
* The open-minded structure of this engine. It gives med the possibility to do virtually anything.
* The smooth workflow path.
* The platform independent. The other day, one of my friends tried one of my simple games on a Mac. And I've never have written a single line of code on Mac. That's COOOOOL!
* One of the most service-minded and fast supports I've ever experienced (through the engine community).
Just love it.
Advanced 3D made easy
The engine consists of 2 modules, a rendering engine (com.agency9.render.*) and a high-level feature-rich game oriented API (com.agency9.agentfx.*). We have been using both for over a year in research and development and are very pleased with them.
The high-level system is a dream for rapid development of virtual environments. It gives a developer every thing he/she needs to control a world. You got bone animation, collision detection, live dynamic lights and shadow volumes. A scene can be loaded directly from .obj file without any preprocessing and everything runs smoothly.
The rending system is a state based scene graph that allows you to do practically everything that is possible to do in a system such as OpenGL or DirectX. Since the system is object oriented it is very easy to extends objects and give them properties such as flickering light, animated textures etc.
The system is nicely tied together and it just works !
This engine has really made our life easier. Real-time shadows and polygon-based collision detection are just some of the features that impress me. I can really recommend the engine. The fact that these guys have made this possible in Java makes it even more impressive. And on top of that they are really good and fast at their support!